Once you've taken care of the two items above, the next step is creating your Autoresponder within Tatango. To do this follow the instructions below. When you login to Tatango, the first thing you'll see is your campaigns dashboard, which lists all your Campaigns.
1) Create Tatango Autoresponder
- Beneath "Campaigns" on the left side of the screen, click Autoresponders.
- Once you've done step #1, find the green button in the top right hand corner that says Create Autoresponder, and a pop-up will appear on your screen.
- In the pop-up, you'll first want to set your Keyword, which is a word that customers will text to your short code, before receiving a text message in response asking for their email address. Don't worry, you can edit this later if needed. A Keyword can be anywhere between 2 and 15 characters long, but cannot contain any spaces,!,/,$,%, or any other special characters.
- After you've set your keyword, the next step will be to set your Response. This is the message that customers will receive after they respond with their email address.Don't worry, you can edit this later if needed.
- When finished, click the green button that says Create SMS Autoresponder.
2) Connect Tatango & MailChimp
- In MailChimp you're going to want to generate a new API Key. To do this, you'll want to follow these instructions.
- Once you've obtained your new API Key from MailChimp, you're going to go into the "Settings" of the Tatango Autoresponder you setup. To do this, click on the gear icon in the top right hand corner of your screen when you're viewing your Autoresponder dashboard.
- Within your Autoresponder settings, you'll see "MailChimp", and two fields below it. Copy and paste your API Key that you got from MailChimp into the field that says "API Key". If the API Key is valid, a green check mark will appear, and your available Lists from MailChimp will appear in the field below.
- Select the MailChimp list you wish to have new email subscribers added to when they respond to your Autoresponder with their email address.
- When finished, select the button that says "Save Changes".
Text Message Example
- SMS Keyword: ACME
- Autoresponder Response: Thanks for joining our email list!
- For this integration to work, you must not require any other MailChimp subscriber fields, such as name, zip code, etc. The only field that can be left required is email address.
- When an email is submitted via text message, Tatango will first confirm that it's a valid email address through a DNS lookup. If the DNS lookup fails, the response text message will be "That's not a valid email address, please respond with a valid email address."
- Adding an email address to MailChimp from Tatango isn't instantaneous, it may take a few minutes for a new email address to show up in your MailChimp list.
- The way autoresponders are designed, you're unable to text message customers after they interact with your autoresponder. If you're looking to message customers more than once, you'll need to setup a campaign, then add customers that interact with your Autoresponder to that campaign. You can find instructions on how to do this here.
- Responses to an Autoresponder Response will result in a message being sent to a customers saying "Sorry, you can not respond to this message.", unless the customer responds with another SMS keyword.
- Tatango can't transfer customers that have texted an autoresponder keyword to a campaign.
- Currently the MailChimp integration doesn't activate an email double opt-in, or welcome email through MailChimp, meaning once a customer replies with their email address to an SMS Autoresponder, they will be subscribed to your MailChimp list.
- Signup Source in MailChimp for email addresses from Tatango will be "API - Generic"